U8 through U11 Mod Soccer Program
Mod soccer, short for "modified" soccer, is the next step in player development. In accordance with best practices and US Youth Soccer recommendations, U8 through U11 players play matches under modified roles. The rules vary by age, gradually reaching the same rules used at the highest levels all over the world. Mod soccer continues with small rosters and small-sided games that maximize the opportunities for players to have touches on the ball and improve their skills and confidence.
- Teams are re-formed at U8
- Continuity by Priority Placement
- If player wants to return to the same team he or she can (this applies to U9 and older)
- Player must register on time to be placed with their returning team
- Teams are formed from players at two schools
- U8 plays 4 v 4 with a maximum team size of 8 players
- U9 plays 5 v 5 with a maximum team size of 9 players
- U10 plays 6 v 6 with a maximum team size of 10 players
- U11 plays 9 v 9 with a maximum team size of 14 players.
- All levels play on appropriately sized fields.
Season & Time Commitment
The Mod soccer season is first weekend of September after Labor Day to mid-November. U8 through U11 teams will practice twice a week. Games are held on Saturdays on Mercer Island and the Eastside.
U8 and U9 clinics/practices are held at Homestead. They have one clinic day and one team only practice day.
U10 and U11 individual team practices take place at the various fields on Mercer Island. These are not clinic based but are run by the coaches.
As part of their registration, our Mod players will receive a the traditional Mercer Island FC maroon jersey.
Parents are responsible for the following additional equipemnt:
- Shin pads (all kids MUST have shin pads to play either practice or games)
- Black socks
- Black shorts
- Shoes. Cleats are preferable because they grip the wet grass and are good for lateral movement.
- Ball size U8 - Size #3; U9 - U12 Size #4; U13 and older Size #5.